The Sanders Family Travels Abroad for a Year

Good to have you along for our year long adventures in Ireland and other countries. We are working, playing, and schooling amongst our neighbors in Carna, Ireland.

Please use control + to enlarge the blog, the photos look much better this way. As of March 2011, google has improved the presentation of the blog, the photos show much better now.

Carna is along the west coast on Ireland, a little over an hour's drive from Gallway. It is a pretty rural area, and it is rugged and beautiful, physically and culturally.

We will keep you updated with our life, as we settle into a coastal home and integrate into the community. Greg is working in a Family Practice clinic, mentored by Gerard Hooke, whom Greg worked with a few years ago, for many years, in Arlington, Washington state. Gerard and his wife Amanda have settled into this area a few years ago, and are beloved by the community. The clinic was started by Michael Casey, who worked here solo for many years. He now has 3 clinics in Galway county, where he shares his time.

Our 3 children are in the local schools,where the classes are taught in the Irish language, with some English as well. We are exploring Ireland, on weekend drives. Also, periodically we are hopping over to the mainland Europe, for longer adventures.



Friday, September 17, 2010

Carna, Ireland, home for the next year



























Photos

Top- view of neighbor's house who is our landlord

2nd-view of side of our house, with our Renault

3rd-5th-view from front of our house, left to right


Carna is a small town, on the water, with perhaps 300 residents, and a few stores,typically like convenience shops. There are more residents, scattered around the surrounding area, typically with some land. Fences are rock walls. Jobs include fishing and farming, and a few local businesses. Also, there is the Carna Health Centre, and the nursing home. My first few days, I have been making the rounds, meeting all the store owners. Everyone knows everyone here. Many are related, to some degree.


I am still mastering driving. The other day, I had what I would call a near miss. I saw an elderly man walking in the road, with his cane, and with a couple of big cows. He waved (as everyone does) and I slowed down and rounded the corner. Sure enough, there was cow number three, right in front of me. In hindsight, that wave was not a hello. A few minutes later, I was behind a big plodding truck, overflowing with something familiar looking. Every time it hit a bump, some of the stuff would drop off. I finally recognized the truck was loaded with seaweed! I was perplexed as to what this was being used for, as I followed the lumbering truck all the way home. Later I was told it was used in Guinness beer! Now that is grounding. It turns out, seaweed is harvested regularly around here, and used for many products. I believe they take it from the same area every 3 years or so. I had my first Guinness last night. Ask for a "pint" as they say, and you will automatically be served a Guinness. It was somewhat warm, served in a cooled glass. We were at a local pub (kids too) having dinner, while a group of locals occupied the bar stools, all having, of coarse, a pint. They were watching TV, Ireland beat Armenia, in a football (that is soccer) game. The beer has a thick, almost creamy foam head,which prompted Paris to remind me that I had beer in my mustache, several times. One beer is enough for me, or I doubt I could function well. We enjoyed our 1st Irish made pizza, quite tasty.

I had mentioned everyone waves when you drive on the local roads. Well, the 1st few days I was not aware of this, as I was laser focused on staying on the left side, and between the yellow shoulder line and the white center line. Additionally, I was anxious when ever I got a tailgater, and vigilant for sheep, cows and donkeys in the road. The 3rd day I started to sneak quick peaks and head snaps at passing cars, and the beautiful surrounding environment. Well, indeed I noticed that everyone was waving at me. I pondered was this because it was the local custom, or because I was driving Gerard's car, the local Dr. More about him later. I had just bought his car. Well, he had seen me drive by and not wave. He said that it was customary to wave as you passed. I explained my predicament. Never the less, I am now waving at everybody although I am not always making eye contact, due to my focus on driving. I imagine many of them are wondering how full haired Gerard suddenly went bald. Subsequently Gerard said that you can wave at the local cars, which can be identified by their licence plate. The out of towners, with a G for Galway, are optional, as it can be touristy here. I am still mastering this. The typical wave is a flick of the index and middle finger of the hand resting on the top of the steering wheel. Subtle, but visible.

Gerard sold me his diesel Renault station wagon, which is in great shape, and it gets 65 mpg-no kidding. Why can't the USA card do this? It is a little sandy inside, as he takes their 4 dogs for beach walks. They love to eat the blackberries that line their driveway.

1 comment:

  1. This all sound so intresting and fun. The Vance family hopes your time in Ireland is an awsome adventure. Happy Birthday to both Uncle Greg and Paris!

    ReplyDelete